Martin Ebert

Martin Ebert
Gravestone Marker

Wednesday 18 January 2012

Using wildcards for searching online databases

I have not found anything new on the Ebert line.  While I was cleaning out my old e-mails, I came across a few I needed to answer.  If I have neglected to answer anyone else, please e-mail me again, with a reminder.  The little gray cells, they ain't what they used to be!

Most of you probably already know what I am about to tell you.  If not, good luck with these tips.

Using Wild Cards when searching indexed databases

an asterisk  * replaces multiple letters
a question mark ? replaces one letter

I have used wild cards while searching in familysearch.org and ancestry.com and have had good results.  Other databases may have different results, it depends on how the searches are executed.

Often, I have had problems finding records because they have been transcribed incorrectly (sometimes through no fault of the transcriber!)
Especially when the first letter of a name is mis-transcribed.  For example, I have Tighe ancestors.  Sometimes spelled Tigh, Tye, Tie.
Soundex will usually pick up these spellings.  However, no search will pick up Lighe!  so if I use ?ighe, the search will pick up all the possible names ending with 'ighe'.  I could also use *ighe, but that will pick up multiple and single letters at the beginning of the name.

more examples:
Kel*y,  for Kelly, Kelley,
Edw*  for Edward, Edwin, Edwart, etc.
Wal?er  for Waller 
E*bert, E*ert, ?bert, *bert, for Ebert

I believe you need to have 3 letters plus the wildcard for the search to work. The wildcard can be at the beginning, middle, or end of a name. Wildcards can be used for searching given names and for surnames.

Google has a basic search help page at:
Basic Google Search

Google has an advanced search help page at:
Advanced Google Search

I hope this has helped someone out there, stay warm.  It was -40 Celsius with the windchill factor this morning at my house!

Carol H.

No comments:

Post a Comment